Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Introduction post: Janet Jackson

First post, and it's going to be about Janet Jackson.

The reason I am dedicating what is probably my introductory post about the iconic pop star, is because...I am going to see her next Friday. See Janet is kind of a household name in my family. Both my parents love her music. My mom told me how much she looked up to Ms. Jackson (they are maybe a year a part age wise), and how much she loved her songs. My dad thought she was fine, and didn't mind her songs.
Once song though that seems to unite them is Janet's hit from the early 90's, That's The Way Love Goes.


By far one of my favorite songs from her, on one of my favorite albums period. Janet was dominate for over two decades, and even in the 2000's she managed to keep hits coming and her name in the media (although the Superbowl may not have been the smartest move...but whatever).

Anyway her return after several years is welcomed. My timeline on twitter was set ablaze with several fans celebrating her return. Her new single No Sleep, a comforting lounge like mid tempo which is not unlike a lot of her 90's work, has topped the R&B charts, her video has brought in praise for its simplicity and visuals. She has even gotten North Carolina native J. Cole on the remix (although I don't really think he added much to the song..and I tend to just skip his part anyway).
In true form, Janet didn't start this with some loud crash or bang. She came back as if she never left. Her announcement was through a video, a clip of her new song, and she then went on her way. The reaction from her fans was loud enough to make up for her lack of ruckus (I was a part of said excitement).


Anyway I am going to see Janet next week. I am going to act like a complete embarrassment. And...yeah...I'm happy.
*Yes I just sat here and gushed, but it's Janet Jackson*

1 comment: